I actually got it working yesterday. Through the WordPress dashboard it said my theme was up to date. The decreased functionality I was experiencing meant I could not see the version of the theme. I tried to upload the newest theme manually, but again it was not allowing me to make any changes to the site from the dashboard. I installed a WP manager and saw that the theme was actually the 2.8.3 version and was out of date. Through the WP manager I could upload the new theme. I am not sure why the theme did not continue to update, try and stay on top of that and recall doing an update in the last few months. Now that I have it updated I have to fix some of the elements that did not transfer. But at least I can make changes!