You can make capable, cleaned sites with WordPress without taking in a ton of coding. Once you're ready to go with WordPress, you can make a website in a week or a weekend what could otherwise take you a month or more to code without any former knowledge. WordPress programming, once installed on a server, gives a huge amount of devices to building and overseeing extraordinary websites.
WordPress works best for specific sorts of sites. Individual portfolios, websites, and leaflet sites, for example, are super-simple with WordPress. On account of decently created WordPress modules, you can likewise effectively assemble e-trade sites, employment sheets, social networks, and other custom sites. More developers are actually looking at utilizing WordPress as an application framework; be that as it may, this is a less-thought-of use case for WordPress right now.
I am going to reveal to you how you can make your site focused around WordPress, a static site that you can manage online and which resembles a standard site.
Domain Name and Registration
The principal thing you require, once you get the thought for your site, is a decent domain name and getting that registered.
Picking a great domain name is hard; you have to consider a couple of things:
- Is the name simple to recall?
- Is it short enough?
- Is it difficult or easy to type in your browser's address bar without clear typos?
There is a difference between areyouafraidwebsite.com and ruafraidwebsite.com
- Does your site name hold Trademark words, or would you be able to get into other legitimate issues with that name?
- The domain name can be, for example, hpinfo.com and not hewlettpackardinfo.com
- Is it true that it is likable or brandable?
- And last but not least, is it still free? You can check that by simply writing it into your browser address bar, or checking it at Namecheap.com
WordPress Website Hosting
Presently you require a place to place your site so that it is reachable by everybody on the Internet.
So you lease some hard-disc space on an extensive server that is maintained for you by authorities. You likewise need to pay for data transmission and other stuff identified with the hosting of your site (back-ups, server redesigns, help, and so forth.)
Sounds unmanageable? With a shared hosting account, you won't burn up all available resources. These hosting accounts are around 5 to 7 dollars. I prescribe getting a dependable and secure hosting account from either Hostgator or Greengeeks.com.
Got your hosting package primed? At that point backtrack to Namecheap.com, login, and point your domain DNS servers to the servers your hosting organization relegated to your record.
After doing the above-mentioned steps, you are ready to go for WordPress installation, followed by some basic steps. The installation can be done manually or with a hosting-provided script also detailed below.
If you want to do it manually, the following are the basic steps to take:
- Make a MySql database with username and password (see the instructions of your hosting company)
- Go to the site of WordPress and download the latest version of the Free WordPress Software.
- Unzip the files in your computer by using an extractor such as WinRar.
- After that, the next step is to get all the files uploaded to the “www” or “public html folder” of your hosting account via FTP (Filezilla Client or Cyberduck)
- Having done that, go to your domain name URL and start the installation, you will be asked for the information at step 1.
- And there you go, log in to your new WordPress-based website and start the configuration.
If you want to install WordPress the easy way is of using a hosting script in which you choose the simple Quick install option if you are on Hostgator or the Softaculous application installer at Greengeeks.
With the last and easy installation option, you will be able to run the site within 5 minutes or less.
Important Options to Configure in WordPress
Once you have installed WordPress, you are advised to configure the following settings which are vital for the whole process:
- First, open the “Dashboard” menu on the left side of your screen.
- Then what you need to do is to click the Settings > General and change the Tagline from “Just another WordPress Weblog” to something that suits your website. Also, change the time zone if needed.
- Change your user profile, especially your screen display name so that your login user name is not shown. This can be done by going to Users > Your Profile. There, type in your Name and Nickname and then do the selection in the drop-down box below.
- Further, remove the sample WordPress “Hello World” post by going to Posts > All Posts > Delete “Hello World”
- Delete or change the sample “About” page by going to Page > All Pages > Edit or Delete.
- Upload an image by scrolling to Media > Add new > Select a file from your hard disk and see if it is posted right, if it working then you can go on uploading images and insert them into posts and pages.
- Swap / remove the default sidebar widgets like the “meta box” by going to Appearance > Widgets > Open Primary Sidebar on the right and moving the Widget Recent Posts and Categories into it. If you have felt like you don’t need any other stuff in it, just delete it from that sidebar for now.
- Change the category name that is Uncategorized to your main website topic Posts by going to Categories > Uncategorized > Edit and typing in your main website topic name and clearing out the text “uncategorized” in the slug field. Save it and then based on the first field, WordPress will create the new slug itself.
WordPress Themes, Layout, and Site Presentation
WordPress layouts and site presentations are done with exotic and sensual themes changing the very way your website looks. At the theme’s site of WordPress.org, there are several free designs available and are easy to download and use.
There are some amazing websites based on selling mind-blowing themes for WordPress. A suggestion would be to check the “template code” to get familiarized with its works. If you are interested in buying a commercial theme, you have good news that you will get access to tutorials to guide you on getting the most out of your purchase.
It is imperative to understand that any sort of theme can be used to create a Static WordPress website, but there is always a difference between creating a site this way in comparison to the all-new WordPress Magazine Style Theme. You will find an amazing lot on the how-to and what of this concept by googling it.
WordPress Plugins are additions for the WordPress software that helps to overcome some of the confinements of the blogging software and help to open a gate to possibilities and innovations.
You can find a lot of plugins ranging in a variety of problems faced. One should not get surprised by seeing a plugin to optimize his/her website for search engines.
These plugins are also essential in dealing with the following situations:
- Blocking spam comments
- Creating a secure contact form
- Creating a sitemap
- Creating back-ups
- Securing your WordPress website against malicious users
- Optimize your database etc.
A Cost Overview of Building a WordPress Website
A website with a content management system can cost you up to thousands of dollars. However, you can avoid all of it by the use of its closer and cheaper substitute such as WordPress. Obviously, you need to invest some of your energies and time into it but it is worth more than anything. As for as the costs are concerned, you should be worried about the following:
Domain name registration – Yearly cost around 15 dollars
Webhosting package – Yearly costs around 60 dollars
In optional, you can enjoy the following:
- Premium Theme - One-time cost from 35 dollars to 80 dollars
- Premium Plugins (optional)
- A specially designed WordPress theme – Cost will be at least several hundred dollars.
So if you just go simple, your total expense per year will be around 75 dollars
It doesn’t matter how much you invest in security as long as your website is living but the problem is that there is always a chance of it being exploited by hackers, which is just one reason why backing up is so important. The hackers are a real threat; they can attack from all angles be it even the hosting providers of which there have been many cases of, leaving their customers vulnerable. Following are some ways to secure WordPress:
- Among the many WordPress updates, there are many functional upgrades as well as security fixes in them. Therefore it is advisable to update as soon as an update is initiated on the server.
- Many of the WordPress users leave the database table’s prefix as the default “wp” which allows malicious hackers to search for it exactly in their tools. Therefore it is advisable to change the prefix to something unique.
- Removing the WordPress version from the website’s header is another way to avoid hacking because by doing so one is avoiding the very fact of telling hackers the version of WordPress you are running and thus directing them towards the way to exploit your website.
Hackers know that a major percentage of users will have their username as admin. So by changing this fact about your password, you are actually giving the hackers hard time.
The above-mentioned tweaks can also be done automatically by The WP Security Scan plugin which assists you in completing these tweaks.
Backing up is certainly the most significant item I believe. Should something ever go out of order and one hasn’t set up a backup system, one can lose all of his/her online important belongings. Luckily, there are many fantastic solutions. The most important thing is to back up both the database and your files. Both of them have equal parts and roles in the constituency of a WordPress website.
It is owned by Automattic (the brains behind WordPress) and is certainly the most upright backup solution. It cost less $15 per month for a simple plan.
This backup solution is reliable as it has been around longer than VaultPress and is trusted by many. It allows you to back up content to your server, Amazon S3 if you will, or an email address of your choice. It also has a one-time cost which is not a big deal, starting at $75 for 2 websites.
This plugin only backs up your database and further emails to you when required. The problem with backing up only the database is that although your content will be saved, you will lose all your modifications such as themes, plugins, etc. Bliss is that WP-DB-Backup is free.
Begin to Build a Website with WordPress right now!
Overall, you need a site that is not difficult to make and doesn't cost excessively, correct? So how about we begin! Today is a great day to create a site with WordPress and check how far you can get making your own particular place on the Internet.